- The LG Rollable phone that was teased at CES 2021 and then confirmed to launch this year might turn out to be vaporware.
- LG is looking to sell its mobile division, according to several reports, including a story that says a Vietnam-based group wants LG’s mobile business in the US.
- It’s unclear what will happen to the LG Rollable project should LG sell its mobile division.
LG stunned the world a few weeks ago with the most exciting phone it ever developed. We learned of LG’s plans to launch a Rollable phone last year, around the time the company was getting ready to launch one of the worst ideas in mobile tech in recent years, the LG Wing phone with a swiveling screen. We all thought the LG Rollable phone that LG showed at CES could be easily filled into the category of “vaporware” tech that’s often showcased at such events. LG isn’t the only company developing phones with screens that can roll, but there was no indication the technology is mature enough to debut in a commercial product. After all, Samsung showcased foldable phone concepts at CES several years before the first Fold phone was ready to launch. And even then, the original Galaxy Fold had some annoying design issues that were never caught during testing.
LG confirmed at CES that the LG Rollable phone is real and it’s launching this year, without disclosing more details on the matter. “Our management wanted to show that it is a real product, as there were many rumors around the rollable phone,” LG spokesman Ken Hong told Nikkei. “As it is released at CES 2021, I can tell that it will be launched this year.” The LG Rollable then won several awards at the show, including “Best of CES” recognition. But in the weeks that followed the trade show, we learned that LG is finally ready to throw in the towel and abandon its mobile division. So who is making the LG Rollable, if it’s real?
Today's Top Deal
Today's Top Deals
- 10 awesome Amazon deals for Prime members only
- Get a massive 120-inch home theater projector screen at Amazon for $24
- You’ve probably never heard of Amazon’s hottest new device – and it’s on sale for $12
Trending Right Now:
- Do you have any of these coronavirus symptoms? CDC says go to the hospital now
- Stimulus check update: When will you get the $1,400 that Biden promised?
- Biden just made face masks mandatory in each of these places
Will anyone manufacture the most exciting LG phone so far? originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 07:31:36 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.