- Samsung announced it would manufacture large quantities of 14-inch 90Hz OLED displays that will be just as good as 120Hz LCD screens.
- Several mysterious “global IT companies” will release new laptops with OLED screens this year, the company said.
- Samsung is rumored to launch new Galaxy Book Pro notebooks of its own, which are expected to be high-end devices that could support OLED screen tech.
Samsung teased OLED screens for laptops around the all-digital CES 2021 event this year, touting the advanced features of these displays compared to traditional LCD screens. OLED panels support much higher contrast ratios and darker blacks, and that's because each pixel lights up independently. This leads to richer colors and better HDR support. These features aren’t new, as most high-end phones pack OLED screens, with Samsung being the main manufacturer. That includes most of the all-screen iPhones launched since 2017.
More interesting is a feature that Samsung is finally ready to roll out in commercial products, the under-display camera tech that many smartphone vendors are developing. Samsung calls it under-panel camera (UPC), and it’ll be available on notebooks with OLED screens before smartphones. Samsung finally confirmed that it’s manufacturing OLED displays for 2021 14-inch laptops, without disclosing the mysterious beneficiaries.
Today's Top Deal
Today's Top Deals
- 10 awesome Amazon deals for Prime members only
- Amazon’s big Apple Watch Series 6 sale has the deepest discounts of 2021
- This foldable 4K camera drone is only $60 thanks to a double discount at Amazon
Trending Right Now:
- These are the only 5 states where coronavirus cases are still surging
- This vegetable was just recalled because it could be dangerous – make sure you throw it out
- Here’s what Dr. Fauci thinks about Biden’s coronavirus vaccine plan
Samsung’s exciting OLED screens for laptops confirmed to equip mysterious devices this year originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 06:50:18 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.