- Apple's first VR headset could make its long-awaited debut as early as 2022.
- Bloomberg reports that Apple is working on a niche, expensive VR headset that would serve as a precursor to more affordable and accessible AR glasses in the future.
- The current prototype for the VR headset is said to have a fabric exterior, external cameras, high-resolution displays, and chips more powerful than the M1.
Rumors and speculation about Apple entering the world of virtual and augmented reality hardware have been floating around for years, but according to Bloomberg, Apple's first VR headset could launch next year. Mark Gurman reports that Apple is currently working on a virtual reality headset which will be "a pricey, niche precursor" to the full-featured augmented reality glasses that it plans to release further down the line.
Bloomberg says that Apple's headset "will display an all-encompassing 3-D digital environment for gaming, watching video and communicating." There will be AR functionality as well, but it will be limited, especially compared to the AR device Apple plans to debut in the future. The headset will compete with the likes of the Oculus Rift, PlayStation VR, and HTC Vive, but it doesn't sound like Apple expects to topple any of those products.
Today's Top Deal
Today's Top Deals
- 10 awesome Amazon deals for Prime members only
- You’ve probably never heard of Amazon’s hottest new device – and it’s on sale for $12
- Today’s top deals: Honeywell cloth masks, $26 portable speaker, $200 Roomba, 46% off down jackets, $7 smart plugs, more
Trending Right Now:
- This vegetable was just recalled because it could be dangerous – make sure you throw it out
- Want to catch a glimpse of Uranus? It’ll be very easy tonight
- This is the most dangerous thing about coronavirus vaccines
Apple’s VR headset could be an appetizer for AR glasses – here’s when it might launch originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 12:06:09 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.