To the average person, most cybersecurity news might only sound relevant in the abstract. Network penetrations, stolen passwords, leaked files, and the like aren't exactly the kind of things that create a headache for most of us. But like the nasty, sharp-edged expansiveness of the iceberg below the surface that you don't see, so too are the frightening implications of so many of the security and hack-related news items that you're not aware of -- or that you don't hear about until much later. Like, for example, the way a hacker nearly poisoned the water supply of another major US city, this time San Francisco, earlier this year.
NBC News revealed details of the heretofore unreported incident a few days ago, as part of a larger deep-dive into the disastrously porous state of the security associated with water supply systems around the US. In brief: On January 15, the week after the insurrection at the US Capitol that was still dominating national news headlines, a hacker embarked on this mission. Armed with a password and username for an employee's TeamViewer account, this hacker logged into the San Francisco water system's computer network remotely and started deleting programs associated with the treatment of drinking water.
BEST PRIME DAY DEALS:
Amazon eGift Card — FREE $10 credit with coupon code GCPRIME2021
Apple AirPods Pro
Fire TV Stick 4K streaming device with Alexa Voice…
iRobot Roomba i4+ (4552) Robot Vacuum with Automat…
Today's Top Deals
- Best Prime Day Apple deals: AirPods Pro, MacBook Air, and more
- Amazon Prime Day deals 2021: See hundreds of the best deals right here
- I’m obsessed with this Amazon gadget you’ve never heard of – and it’s only $15 for Prime Day!
- Best Prime Day Amazon device deals: Echo, Fire TV, and more
Trending Right Now:
- This mind-bending new Netflix original series is your next obsession
- iPhone 13 prices might have leaked three months early
- Windows 10 has a hidden ransomware protection feature – here’s how to use it
A hacker tried to poison the water supply in another major US city originally appeared on BGR.com on Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 10:26:35 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.